How to make fresh strawberry souffle with strawberry and basil compote:
You will need:
For the souffle:
430 g (15 oz) fresh strawberries
Juice of 1 lemon
60 g (2 oz) caster sugar
30 g (1 oz) gelatine
60 g (2 oz) egg whites - from approx. 2 eggs
300 ml (10 fl.oz) whipping cream
For the compote:
30 ml (I fl.oz) raspberry vinegar
I 5 g (½ oz) sugar
45 g (½ 1 oz) strawberries
2 tbsp chopped basil leaves
To make the souffle:
- Set aside four small, neat strawberries for the garnish and roughly chop the rest.
- Heat the lemon juice with 30 g (1 oz) of sugar and add the strawberries.
- Gently soak the gelatine in cold water and add to the hot strawberries. Liquidise and keep warm.
- Whisk the egg whites and remaining caster sugar over a bowl of hot water until the mixture is hot to the touch (approximately 700e / 160°F). Remove from the heat and whisk with an electric whisk until cold.
- Beat the cream lightly and fold the meringue into the strawberries, followed by the cream.
- Line the outside of six souffle moulds with silicone paper and hold in place with string or an elastic band.
- Pour the mixture into the mould and refrigerate until set. Remove the paper and place half a fresh strawberry on the top of each.
To make the compote:
- Heat the vinegar and add the sugar: Neatly dice the strawberries and add to the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the basil.
- Serve flooded around the souffle.