You will need
4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
240 g (8 ½ oz) caster sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
For the filling:
400 ml (13 ½ fl.oz) double cream
60 g (2 oz) flaked almonds
15 g ( ½ oz) icing sugar
6 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
How to make kiwi and toasted almond pavlova
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Gradually beat in the caster sugar until smooth and glossy, then fold in the white vinegar and cornflour.
- Draw a 23 cm (9 in.) circle on silicone paper and the meringue evenly over the circle. Smooth with a palette knife and bake in a preheated oven at 140°C / 275°F / gas mark I for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 100°C / 225°F, cook for 45 minutes, then turn off.
- Allow to stand for approximately one hour; then transfer to a serving plate to cool.
How to make the filling
- Whip the cream and spread half of it over the meringue.
- Lightly toast the flaked almonds until golden brown, dust with icing sugar and glaze under the grill for a few seconds.
- Decorate the meringue with the sliced kiwi, remaining double cream and flaked almonds.