This how to make sticky toffee pudding, you will need:
For the pudding:
90 g (3 oz) dried dates (stones removed)
100 ml (3 fl.oz) boiling water
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
45 g (1 ½ oz) unsalted butter
75 g (2 ½ oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg
45 g (1 ½ oz) flour
45 g (1 ½ oz) self-raisin flour
For the toffee sauce:
100 g (3 ½ oz) demerara sugar
60 g (2 oz) butter
75 ml (2 ½ fl.oz) double cream
a few drops of vanilla essence
How to make sticky toffee pudding
To make the pudding:
- Soak the dates in boiling water; allow to cool. Add bicarbonate of soda and mix in a food processor
- Cream the butter and sugar together and beat in the egg. Carefully fold in both flours and mix in the cooled date mixture to form a sloppy dough.
- Pour the mixture into a medium, well-buttered pudding basin and cover the top with foil. Seal the edges and place in an oven preheated to 185°C / 360°F / gas mark 4 for approximately 30-40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
To make the toffee sauce:
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Cook until toffee-colored.
- Tip the pudding into a deep-sided, heatproof dish and pour over the hot toffee sauce.
- Place the dish under a hot grill for a few seconds to allow the toffee sauce to bubble.
- Serve sticky toffee pudding with double cream or vanilla ice cream.