How to make dutch apple tart, you will need:
For the pastry:
150 g (5 ½ oz) plain flour
90 g (3 oz) self-raising flour
30 g (1 oz) sugar
60 g (2 oz) butter
60 g (2 oz) lard or white fat30 ml (1 fl.oz) cold water
For the filling:
480 g (lib) apples, peeled, cored and chopped
30 g (1 oz) butter
Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
170 g (6 oz) caster sugar60 g (2 oz) sultanas
How to make dutch apple tart
To make the pastry:
- Place the flours and sugar in a large bowl, add both fats and rub in gently to form coarse crumbs.
- Add the cold water and mix to a firm dough, cover and refrigerate to rest.
To make the filling:
- Slowly cook the apples in a pan with the butter, lemon zest and juice under a tight-fitting lid. Add the sugar and sultanas halfway through.
- When cooked to a thick puree, allow the mixture to completely cool.
- Cover a heatproof pie dish with half of the short pastry using the method given for Old English Apple Pie.
- Add the cold apples and cover with the remaining two thirds of the pastry. Crimp the edge to form a pretty effect, brush with cold water and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Make a steam hole in the center of the tart and bake in a preheated oven at 190°C / 360°F / gas mark until crisp and golden.
- Serve dutch apple tart with lightly whipped cream.